Thursday, July 9, 2009

I don't need to pray

The essence of Satan’s deception is that we can live our lives independent of God. The enemy doesn’t care if we “believe” in God. If we are doctrinally orthodox, or if we fill our schedules with a lot of “spiritual activities” as long as he can get up to run on our own steam, rather that living in conscious dependence upon the power of the Holy Spirit.

If he can get us to live the “Christian live” without cultivating an intimate relationship with the Lord Jesus, he knows we will be spiritually impotent and defeated. If he can get us to operate on our thought and ideas, rather than seeing the wisdom that comes from God, he knows we will eventually get sucked into the world’s destructive ways of thinking.

Far too often I find myself tuning my attention to details and tasks of the day without first taking adequate time to “inquire of the Lord”. When I do so what I am really saying is that I can handle that day on my own – apart from the presence wisdom, and grace of God. I am saying I can do my work, keep my home, handle my relationships, and deal with my circumstances without Him. Munger in his book “My heart, Christ’s Home,” goes on to tell how he showed Christ around the house of his heart, inviting him to settle down here and be perfectly at home, welcoming him room by room. Together they visited the library of his mind _ “a very small room with very thick walls.” They peered into the dining room of his appetites and desires. They spend a little time in the workshop where his talents and skills were kept, and the rumpus room of “certain associations and friendships, activities and amusements.” They even poked their heads into the hall closet filled with dead, rotting things he had manage to hoard.

As Munger describes each room I feel so connected because it describes my heart as well, but is his description of the drawing room that will forever change the way I approach my time with the Lord.

We walked next into the drawing room. This room was rather intimate and comfortable. I like it. It had a fire place, overstuffed chairs, a book case, sofa, and a quite atmosphere. He also seemed pleased with it. He said, “this is indeed a delightful room. Let us come here often. It is secluded and quiet and we can have fellowship together.”
Well, naturally, as a young Christian I was thrilled. I could not think of anything I would rather do than have a few minutes apart with Christ in intimate comradeship.
He promised, “I will be here every morning early. Meet me here and we will start the day together.” So, morning after morning I will come to the drawing room … they were wonderful hours together. But little by little, under the pressure of many responsibilities, this time began to shortened.. I began to miss a day now and then.. I would miss it two days in a row and often more.

I remember one morning when I was in a hurry.. as I passed the drawing room, the door was ajar. Looking in I saw a fire in the fireplace and the Lord sitting there… “blessed Master, forgive me. Have you been there all these mornings?”
“yes,” He said, “I told you I would be here every morning to meet with you.” Then I was even more ashamed. He had been faithful in spite of my faithlessness. I ask His forgiveness and he readily forgave me.. Hi said “the trouble with you is this: You have been thinking of the quite time, of Bible study and prayer time, as a factor in your own spiritual progress, but you have forgotten that this hour means something to Me also.”

The presence of the Lord, a place where we can be comfortable. It’s a place of transparency and vulnerability; a place where we are completely known.. and yet completely loved. This is Home

No comments: